Thursday, August 18, 2011

MY FIRST COMMISSIONED PIECE!

Hi all, long time no hear from!

Now that the boys are back in school, I will have more time to work on my pieces.  The heat here in Atlanta has been unbearable.  I usually work in the garage, but I’ve had to resort to my living room until temps are lower than 100 degrees.

Enough of that.  What this post is really about is to share my first commissioned project! During one of my thrift store excursions, I picked up this piece of furniture

IMAG0800[1]

Let me just say that French Provincial style furniture  is probably my absolute favorite! Well that and the Duncan Phyfe style pieces… So anytime I see a piece in this style, I must have it!

The person who is purchasing this from me originally wanted it black, but being the color lover I am, I suggested something elseSmile

I think most times people go with the basic colors (black, white, grey) to be safe.  Safe is ok, but there are times where stepping outside of your comfort zone is totally worth it!  I asked my client where in her house this piece will be used and what colors are being used in that space.  She did something that I could have kissed her for! She sent me a link to this page in House of Fifty!

image

She told me that the colors in the Calico Corners ad were the colors in her home and that she would love to use one of them!

I’m still working on the piece, but I was able to snap a picture with my phone just now to show you how its looking

IMAG0869[1]

The photo quality is terrible, I know.  I have yet to purchase batteries for my camera…

IMAG0870[1]

I should be finished with this today and I will snap some better pics for ya! I must say, I really am loving the color.  Although black would have been nice too, I think this color will make her happy!

9 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I adore the color!! It allows the lines to really show and besides, simply a happy color! I love that she sent you a page from HOF to show her inspiration colors. :)

Hope it cools down soon for you...Janell

rachel said...

GORGEOUS! I'm loving that color too. I think your client will love it. I"m glad you convinced her to step outside of her comfort zone! You're doing your thing girl. Now I can say I'm so proud of YOU!

Rachel
xoxo

Karen said...

That's a great color Lakeitha, I know your client will love it. Congrats on your first commission and pursuing your dream.

Decor & Harmony said...

This is going to be the start of something good for you! Can't wait to see more.

La Monica said...

Love the color! Congrats on your 1st commissioned piece!

SHERRY HART said...

Ma fav color...So much better than black!

Anonymous said...

Very Pretty color and such a great piece1

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Looking Good. Your such the painter now.

Natty by Design said...

oooh…you suggested a different color?! i can't believe it worked! it looks awesome!